Orthodontics/Mouth guard

Question
Hi Dr Supan,

My name is Russ. my dentist gave me a soft mouthguard to use when sleeping since i have a tendency to bit my tongue while i sleep. thing is the material looks like some kind of plastic. with the warm temperature of the mouth and the enzymatic activity of the saliva is it possible that chemicals can leach out of the mouth guard? Was wondering if you could provide any info.  

Thanks so much

Russ

Answer
Upper & Lower Clear Plastic Retainers
Upper & Lower Clear Pl  

Hi Russ,

Your question is incredibly timely. As I am sure you are aware, there have been many reports in the media regarding the release of certain chemicals, such as BPA, from plastic water bottles.

BPA stands for bisphenol A. It is a chemical that mimics the female hormone estrogen. Many of the chemicals which have been shown to leach out of certain plastics are estrogen mimicking and have been collectively called “endocrine-disrupting chemicals” (EDC). Bisphenol-A, phthalates, and other chemicals of concern have been discussed in the dental literature. The release of these substances can sometimes be triggered by heat from dishwashers or microwaves, or in the case of mouth guards, from heat during the molding process. Also, exposure to ultraviolet which is sometimes used during disinfection or sterilization or appliances can also trigger chemical releases. FDA does not require testing of dental materials for BPA

The dental profession is aware of these findings. Many years ago certain plastics used in dentistry also contained chemical monomers which caused allergic skin reactions. These were rapidly discontinued. Regarding the current plastics used in clear retainers and other oral devices, I am not aware of any which leach out significant amounts of EDC chemicals.

Russ, I think you should feel quite at ease with any current plastic intraoral appliances used in the US today manufactured by a modern dental lab. To put this all into perspective, certain regular white plastic disposable cups made of polystyrene have also been shown vent estrogenic active chemicals, albeit in very very minute amounts.

You noted:

“ … my dentist gave me a soft mouthguard …..  the material looks like some kind of plastic… “

I do not think that your soft mouthguard will be releasing any chemicals at amounts that are significant. I have looked at many ads from professional dental orthodontic labs, and have also spoken with my own commercial orthodontic lab. There are no materials used that either leach out BPA like substances or monomers in any significant amounts.  Endocrine disruptive activity or dermatological or mucosal reactions in the mouth are most unlikely.

So, to address your question:  “ … is it possible that chemicals can leach out of the mouth guard? … “ .  The practical answer is that whatever chemicals, if any, that might be leaching out of an oral appliance made in 2015 are going to be in really ultra minute levels. Moreover, the any negative clinical impact on health from such oral orthodontic appliance exudates has yet to be reported and demonstrated.

Russ, I believe you are to be commended for asking such a relevant and timely question. Sleep well using your new dental appliance knowing that all is well. Thank you for writing.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com

Please allow a week for a reply. Attaching images is often very helpful in allowing me to better respond to questions. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. Your understanding is appreciated.

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH