Orthodontics/Swallowed a bracket from my braces

So a little bit ago my second to last bracket on my molors on the bottom left side broke. It didn't come off the wire though and I was being stupid and just left it. So was lose on the wire for weeks. Then today when I woke up it was gone. I'm almost positive I swallowed it and it had to be within the last two days. Could this harm me to have swallowed it? I'm worried because they have those little pointy parts on them. I think I swallowed one in the summer though too 😂 Anyways thanks

You should be fine. I'm not an orthodontist (I supply resource information about life with braces) but I've checked with a couple of my sources and they all say it will just pass through your system. This seems to happen quite a bit! (One orthodontist ( notes that if you are having trouble breathing, of course get checked out by a medical professional, but your case does not sound like that.) You can always give your orthodontist a call to alert them to this; they may want you to come in sooner that your usual appointment time, just to get a new bracket cemented on and help keep the archwire doing its job.

Pamela Waterman

I can supply tips, hints, recipes and resources about a braces-friendly lifestyle, for parents of children and teens in braces as well as for adults in braces. Although I am not a medical/dental professional, I have colleagues in the field and will do my best to point you to additional resources.

I am the author of two specialty award-winning cookbooks of soft-food recipes and tips targeted to all ages of braces-wearers (including adults) and give workshops to dental hygienists to help them help their patients with this type of information. I have worn braces both as a teen and as an adult, and am from a family of three generations of braces patients. I regularly contribute information to the public website of the American Association of Orthodontists and Orthotown magazine.

Women in Orthodontics, American Academy for Oral Systemic Health, Independent Book Publishers Association, Society of Women Engineers, Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Orthotown, Cricket, Family Fun, Highlights, Better Homes and Gardens Kids' Rooms, Chicago Tribune, East Valley Tribune (Phoenix AZ), Healthy Alternatives, Organic & Natural, Desktop Engineering, Machine Design

BS Astrophysics, MS Radio Astronomy/Electrical Engineering

Good Parenting Award from Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist Glyph Award - Best Cookbook, Arizona Book Publishing Association Finalist - Next Generation Indie Books, Independent Book Publishing Professionals Group

American Association of Orthodontists, Smile for a Lifetime