Orthodontics/Orthodontics

Question
Hi Dr. Supan
I just had a consultation from the orthodontist I previously mentioned who is not a member of the American Association of Orthodontics or the American Board of Orthodontics. The consultation went well and he seemed very knowledgeable. I carefully read the website of his office and of another office where he practices with other orthodontists. Both state where and when he completed his orthodontic specialty program & earned his certificate in orthodontics as well as an MS in oral biology. I also looked on the Healthgrades website and it states that he practices Orthodontics and nothing else. I even asked his treatment coordinator if his office also is a dentist office and if he is only an orthodontic specialist, and she told me no and yes respectively to these questions. Based on this information, would you conclude he is in fact an orthodontist?   

At the consultation, he also stated that he uses and prefers the Damon (self-ligating) brackets, clear and metal. He said he likes them because there is less friction between the wire and the bracket to allow for easier movement, and that they use less force than other types of braces. Do you believe these things to be true?
Thank you.

Answer

Dear Ben,

Thank you again for writing.

Now, in your latest follow up question you asked several things. Let me parse the question into two more easily digestible parts.  

#1  You  wrote:

Yes Ben, I do believe your doctor is an Orthodontist. I do not criticize in any way a doctor who chooses not to become a member of the American Association of Orthodontists. Not all Orthodontists are. Being a member of the AAO does not necessarily ensure that the treatment will be excellent, nor does it ensure that the doctor is Board Certified. The point I wish to make is that you can receive excellent treatment by Orthodontists who are neither Board Certified, nor members of the American Association of Orthodontists. I personally happen to be Board Certified and a life long AAO Member.

#2  You also wrote:

Gosh Ben, this has been such a heated topic of discussion at many of the Orthodontic meetings I have attended.  Doctors show slides where the early movement is easier but the latter final changes are less so. After 35+ years in this profession, my view is that while a Doctor may have a preference for a style or type of bracket, in good hands almost any modern bracket can, with skilled treatment, proper diagnosis, and good patient cooperation, achieve an excellent result.

I have no issues with Damon style brackets. They are fine. Again, those who do not use this type of bracket should not criticize or belittle other Doctors who choose to use competing brands and techniques.

So Ben, it is Summer 2016, go forth and get that Orthodontic treatment so that you can enjoy a great smile. After treatment, wear your retainers, and maintain the alignments which you have achieved.  

I hope my brief follow up comments have been helpful. As you know Ben,  the website here encourages readers like you to always rate the answers and to resubmit with any follow up questions. Good luck Ben with your treatment AND your retainers, and again thank you for writing.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com

Please allow a full week for a reply; my replies are generally fairly extensive and researched. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and am involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. I sometimes consult with other doctors on complex interdisciplinary questions. This of course takes time.  Your understanding is appreciated.

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH