Orthodontics/Retrusive lower lip question

Question
Profile view
Profile view  
Dear Paul Supan,

I have a very mild class ii skeletal discrepancy with a fully functional bite that does not warrant any sort of intervention. My only concerns here as aesthetic and, to that end, I am looking to camouflage the discrepancy. Given that my jaw angle is aesthetically acceptable, the three elements that I am looking to modify are the slightly retrusive chin, mildly deep labiomental fold and the retrusive lower lip.

I am getting a genioplasty to cover the first, and I am aware of options to reduce a deep mentolabial fold. However, I am having trouble finding a solution to the slightly retrusive lower lip. I know that a full-blown BSSO will correct this, but I am unwilling to go through such an extensive procedure whilst my bite is satisfactory. Is there any conceivable solution that you can think of that might help a slightly retrusive lower lip?

My picture is attached, feel free to offer any comments on my profile aesthetics or otherwise.

Thanks,
Damien

Answer
Hello Damien,

Pardon the delay in responding. I have been away at a conference, and failed to set my account for “away”.

As always, what I write here are only my opinions based on limited information. Any comments should not be viewed as any form of diagnosis, definitive or otherwise, or any form of treatment recommendation.  As you know Damien, in the ultimate analysis all final decisions, particularly clinical ones, should only be made by qualified doctors who have had a chance to see you in person and who have had an opportunity to take and analyze proper diagnostic records.

Now, in your comments you very expertly noted several things.

1.   Mildly deep labiomental fold
2.   Slightly retrusive chin
3.   Retrusive lower lip

I have also talked to a Board Certified Dermatologist who is well versed in aesthetics about your question. Her comments reflect my perspectives as well.  

You asked specifically: Is there any conceivable solution that you can think of that might help a slightly retrusive lower lip? Let me parse the question into two parts.  

Dental Solutions.

I have looked at the profile, and whereas I do not have a lateral cephalometric radiograph, the problem does not seem too profound at all. The lower lip position and profile can be influenced by the lower incisors. However, the repositioning of incisors may only have a limited impact.

I do not think that there is a dental or orthodontic role in addressing your concerns.

Soft Tissue Solutions.

It would strike me Damien that the main influence here is the soft tissue drape and the skeletal architecture. You mentioned “  I am getting a genioplasty “. This may indeed have a significant effect. If you are indeed going ahead with this, then I would re-evaluate the aesthetics after this procedure has been done.

The second consideration is to have some collagen augmentation to the lips. This procedure is often done by a dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  If the augmentation is done, then both lips need to be evaluated for balance. Lip posture and balance are very important for Orthodontists. This is also the concern for you.

Therefore it appears that the next  steps for you Damien include:

Proceeding with the already scheduled genioplasty.
Permit post surgical recovery and healing.
Re-evaluate the resulting lip posture, profile, and repose.
Make an appointment for a soft tissue augmentation procedure to the lip or lips, with a dermatologist or other health care provider of your choice.

So Damien, it is 2016, and many new options are available for you.  Digital imaging is available to help you with your diagnosis and decision process.  

I hope my brief follow up comments have been helpful. You may wish to also post this in a different forum for plastic surgery or dermatology. I believe this is not so much an Orthodontic issue anymore, but more one of soft tissue augmentation.

As you know Damien, the website here encourages readers like you to always rate the answers and to resubmit with any follow up questions. Good luck with your treatment.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com

Please allow a full week for a reply; my replies are generally fairly extensive and researched. I am in full time Private Practice, lecture on occasion, and am involved in many volunteer activities. I am therefore not always able to respond to questions straight away. I sometimes consult with other doctors on complex interdisciplinary questions. This of course takes time.  Your understanding is appreciated.

Orthodontics

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH