Orthodox Judaism/Rehoboam's wife

Question
i am trying to find out the exact parretage of Rehoboam's wife Maach. I understand that there is some debate over wether or not she is the daughter of Absalom of his granddaughter. i was wondering if there are any oral traditions tht could clear this up that you are aware of.

Sincerily

James

Answer
Hi James

You are right that there's some debate about this. A big reason for the debate is the Scripture's common reference to grandchildren as children and grandparents as parents. If a child was raised by a grandparent (where the parent had died), there would be even more reason to call the grandparent a parent.

Then there's another theory: It was not unusual for the same person to be referred to by more than one (similar) name. So Maacha, daughter of Avishalom (as per Kings) and daughter of Avshalom (as per Chronicles) may simply be references to two different names that were used for the same person (likewise, the fact that Aviyam's mother is referred to as Maacha and Michayahu in different places).

A third theory (quite plausible) is that Maacha was the daughter of another man named Absalom, not Absalom, son of David.

So, the debate rocks back and forth, but it seems that the prevailing tradition is that she was, in fact, Absalom's daughter.

Sincerely,

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler