Orthodox Judaism/Eziekiel 28

Rabbi Avraham:

Much honor to you for your teachings.  I am wondering if you can tell me about this 'king' that is mentioned in Eziekiel 28.
I believe he called by the Prince of Tyrus.  Was there REALLY such a King or is this some sort of allegory to something else?

Thank You

Thank you for your kind words and interesting question. I cannot find any historical data on the King of Tyre, but, as you know, many personages from the Bible do not show up otherwise in history. The text speaks of both the Prince of Tyre and the King of Tyre, so they appear either to be real people or pseudonyms for real people that would have been understood during the time of Ezekiel's writing. The entire book, "Like other biblical writings, attempts to justify the tragedy of the Babylonian exile by arguing that it was a divine punishment for the people's sin and by pointing to G-d's mercy in the future restoration".* Some of the language, as with other prophets, is literal, other figurative. Hope this helps, shalom!

* The Jewish Study Bible, Copyright 2004 by Oxford University Press, Inc.

Orthodox Judaism

Ovadiah ben Avraham

Willing to answer and research general Halakhah questions in any field, including medical ethics. No synagogue or ritual type questions except by non-Jews looking for a brief summary.

Yeshiva and self-study

Jewish Spiritual Humanism

Doctorate Degree