Orthodox Judaism/Micah

Some Christians like to use Micah 5:1 ( 5:2 in some books) as prophecy of coming Jesus.I dont believe this to be true, but perhaps you can explain this portion to me.

"But thou, Beth-lehem Ephrathah, which art little to be among the thousands of Judah, out of thee shall one come forth unto Me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth are from of old, from ancient days." Micah 5:1

So sorry for the long wait; the distractions of hurricane Sandy and Wednesday's nor'easter with power outages had me busy with other things.

As you guessed, this verse does not refer to the Nazarene.  It refers to the Messiah who is a descendant from king David.  King David is the one who this verse refers to as being born in Bethlehem.  King David's descendant is then referred to as originating from Bethlehem due to his ancestor having been born there, even though the Messiah himself was not born in Bethlehem.  As you know, the Messiah has not yet come, the Jews were not yet delivered from the diaspora.

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum

I am an ex-student of yeshiva and I like to be presented with Torah study problems. If you have studied the Torah and have questions on the subject matter, I want to hear about it. I am not a Rabbi and not qualified to decide halachic issues. I am still interested in halachic questions for which I can sometimes offer general guidelines or present decisions in halachic works such as Mishna Berurah. I welcome questions from non-Jewish people but I cannot respond to religious references that are not part of Judaism. If you are working on a paper or doing research and want general information on a Jewish subject, I may or may not satisfy your need, depending on how comfortable I am with the question. If you have a personal problem, I am not qualified to help you but I will do what I can to offer you some assistance.

yeshiva student

Yeshiva student