Orthodox Judaism/Micah

Question
Hello,

Some Christians like to use Micah 5:1 ( 5:2 in some books) as prophecy of coming Jesus.I dont believe this to be true, but perhaps you can explain this portion to me.

"But thou, Beth-lehem Ephrathah, which art little to be among the thousands of Judah, out of thee shall one come forth unto Me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth are from of old, from ancient days." Micah 5:1

Answer
So sorry for the long wait; the distractions of hurricane Sandy and Wednesday's nor'easter with power outages had me busy with other things.

As you guessed, this verse does not refer to the Nazarene.  It refers to the Messiah who is a descendant from king David.  King David is the one who this verse refers to as being born in Bethlehem.  King David's descendant is then referred to as originating from Bethlehem due to his ancestor having been born there, even though the Messiah himself was not born in Bethlehem.  As you know, the Messiah has not yet come, the Jews were not yet delivered from the diaspora.

Best,
David

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum