Orthodox Judaism/Can I be jewish?

Good Day Rabbi. I am young man from Cape Town. My great grandmother was a Jewish immigrant to South Africa in the early '90s from Poland. She met a South African from a different faith and adopted that faith. My grandmother continued that faith, but my mother started to feel uncomfortable with this faith. My mother is now passed on, and since the age of 14 I rejected this faith, as I do not affiliate myself with it and I began to read more on Judaism and felt a connection with Judaism and up to today at age 25 I have practised and believed in the Jewish faith. I have not been attending a synagogue out of fear of being rejected. My Great Grandmother married out of the faith and I am mixed racial. What can I do? Thanks

Hi Lance!

You may very well be halachically Jewish.

In order to determine this you must seek out a Rabbi in your area.

Don't worry about attending synagogue or even calling a rabbi -- you will not be rejected.

Good luck!

Rabbi Ari Enkin

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Enkin

Specialization in Jewish Law and Customs

Rabbi Ari N. Enkin originally from Montreal fulfilled his life-long dream of making aliyah in July 2004 after serving for seven years as a congregational and community rabbi in Montreal, Edmonton, and Winnipeg. Rabbi Enkin holds both Yoreh-Yoreh and Yadin-Yadin semichas as well as a Masters Degree specializing in Informal Adult Education. He is the author of several seforim including most recently "Dalet Amot - Halachic Perspectives" which discusses over 100 contemporary halachic issues. The first printing quickly sold out and a second revised edition is underway (Gefen Publishing House), as is a second volume in this series. Rabbi Enkin is also a frequent contributor to a number of publications on mostly Halachic topics. Since making Aliyah Rabbi Enkin has taught at a number of Yeshivot and Seminaries and is currently working as the manager of Cheerfully Changed Financial Services in Modiin. He also serves as the General Editor of the highly acclaimed Hirhurim Website as well as rabbinical advisor to Judaism.about.com. His lectures are known to be fun, informal, and enlightening appropriate form both laymen and scholars alike.