Orthodox Judaism/Hagar/Ishmael

When Abraham had sexual relations with Hagar, was this God's plan? If not, why didn't God speak to Abraham in order to stop it?

Why don't you ask G-d?

You are making a leap.  Let us assume it was not G-d's plan, why does that mean Abraham had to be stopped?  Besides, it was Abraham's wife who gave him Hagar in order to build a family.  Sara was a prophetess, it is very likely she was told by G-d to hand over her maidservant for this purpose.

You need to be very careful before assuming any wrongdoing by people as great as Abraham.  He was a very intelligent person and completely devoted to G-d's service.  I am offended by the tone of your question suggesting that Abraham would act on his physical impulses.  Abraham was ready to give up his life for defending G-d's Honor, was thrown into a huge fire for it and saved by a miracle from G-d.  His brother was not so lucky.  Abraham gave up a life with his family, established home and his country to travel to a strange land, only because G-d asked him to.  Abraham loved G-d so much that he spent every moment trying to imitate G-d's Ways.  That is what made him the master of performing kindness, there was no one that matched Abraham in kindness.  G-d called Abraham "His friend".  Abraham knew of G-d's plan to build a nation from his offspring, a nation that will continue his legacy of serving G-d.  Do you really believe Abraham would give all this up for a woman?

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum

I am an ex-student of yeshiva and I like to be presented with Torah study problems. If you have studied the Torah and have questions on the subject matter, I want to hear about it. I am not a Rabbi and not qualified to decide halachic issues. I am still interested in halachic questions for which I can sometimes offer general guidelines or present decisions in halachic works such as Mishna Berurah. I welcome questions from non-Jewish people but I cannot respond to religious references that are not part of Judaism. If you are working on a paper or doing research and want general information on a Jewish subject, I may or may not satisfy your need, depending on how comfortable I am with the question. If you have a personal problem, I am not qualified to help you but I will do what I can to offer you some assistance.

yeshiva student

Yeshiva student