Orthodox Judaism/Shavuot

Dear Rabbi,
Is there any significance to Shavuot being the only of the three pilgrimage festivals not occurring on a full moon? Thanks in advance,

Hi Ovadiah

Interesting question :) To be honest, I have been unable to find an explanation for why Shavuot is specifically NOT at full moon. What we do know is that every Jewish holiday (except Chanukah) is either during the first half of the month or at full moon. The Jewish calendar follows the Moon and is symbolic of the fact that our nation is compared to the Moon. So, when the Moon is waxing or full, it symbolizes the growth and strength of the Jewish nation, which is why our special times and festivals fall during that time.

Chag Sameach!

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler

I am a rabbi who loves teaching, through writing and speaking. In 1999, my wife and I started our own Chabad House and it's grown exponentially. I'm also the learning director at Chabad House of Johannesburg, a high school teacher and the father of young children. As you can imagine, I get to answer lots of questions every day. I'd be glad to answer your questions on Judaism, Jewish spirituality and practice.

I have been a practicing Orthodox rabbi since 1997 and have headed my own community since 1999. I teach Talmud at a religious high school in Johannesburg and give daily lectures to adults on Jewish practice, spiritualty, Chassidic philosophy and Kabbalah. I'm the campus rabbi at our two major universities in Johannesburg.

Chabad-Lubavitch South African Rabbinical Association.

Monthly column in Jewish Life magazine, South Africa. Jewish Tradition, South Africa. Jewish Report, South Africa. South African Union of Jewish Students annual Holiday guide. Jewish Observer, South Africa. Nshei Chabad Newsletter, NY. Jewish Online Magazine. www.chabad.org

After completing high scool, I spent six years studying in Rabbinical seminaries in South Africa, Israel and New York.

www.chabad.org www.askmoses.com ChaiFM (www.chaifm.com) Jewish Life magazine