Orthodox Judaism/Mezuzzah

Question
When placing a mezuzzah on the doorpost why is placed at an angle and not vertically?

Answer
Hi Bill,

There is a difference in opinion amongst the Rabbis from medieval times (Rishonim) whether the Mezuzzah is supposed to be positioned vertically or horizontally.  To fulfill the requirement according to both opinions, the solution is thought to put it on an angle.  However there is a latter (Achronim) opinion that putting it on an angle is following neither the vertical nor the horizontal opinion and according to that opinion we should put it completely vertically.  There are very few Jews who put it vertically (I happen to be one of them).

Best regards,
David.

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum