Orthodox Judaism/Mezuzzah

When placing a mezuzzah on the doorpost why is placed at an angle and not vertically?

Hi Bill,

There is a difference in opinion amongst the Rabbis from medieval times (Rishonim) whether the Mezuzzah is supposed to be positioned vertically or horizontally.  To fulfill the requirement according to both opinions, the solution is thought to put it on an angle.  However there is a latter (Achronim) opinion that putting it on an angle is following neither the vertical nor the horizontal opinion and according to that opinion we should put it completely vertically.  There are very few Jews who put it vertically (I happen to be one of them).

Best regards,

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum

I am an ex-student of yeshiva and I like to be presented with Torah study problems. If you have studied the Torah and have questions on the subject matter, I want to hear about it. I am not a Rabbi and not qualified to decide halachic issues. I am still interested in halachic questions for which I can sometimes offer general guidelines or present decisions in halachic works such as Mishna Berurah. I welcome questions from non-Jewish people but I cannot respond to religious references that are not part of Judaism. If you are working on a paper or doing research and want general information on a Jewish subject, I may or may not satisfy your need, depending on how comfortable I am with the question. If you have a personal problem, I am not qualified to help you but I will do what I can to offer you some assistance.

yeshiva student

Yeshiva student