Orthodox Judaism/Calling on name of the LORD

In Genesis 4 I have been studying Enoch and Enosh.   In verse 26 it says that"At that time people began to call on the name of the LORD."   Can you give any insight as to whether Enoch was bad and Enosh was good?  I thought that calling on the name of the LORD was good but I heard a Rabbi say that it was the beginning of idolatry.  Why did Moses single out Enoch and Enosh and is calling on the name of the LORD good?

Hi Don,

The meaning is that they called people and icons by the name of the L-rd to make them (people and icons) into idols.  So that is not good at all.

I heard once that Enosh was criticized for not preventing idol worship, but he himself did not do it.  The seed of Cain was evil.

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum

I am an ex-student of yeshiva and I like to be presented with Torah study problems. If you have studied the Torah and have questions on the subject matter, I want to hear about it. I am not a Rabbi and not qualified to decide halachic issues. I am still interested in halachic questions for which I can sometimes offer general guidelines or present decisions in halachic works such as Mishna Berurah. I welcome questions from non-Jewish people but I cannot respond to religious references that are not part of Judaism. If you are working on a paper or doing research and want general information on a Jewish subject, I may or may not satisfy your need, depending on how comfortable I am with the question. If you have a personal problem, I am not qualified to help you but I will do what I can to offer you some assistance.

yeshiva student

Yeshiva student