Orthodox Judaism/About Animals and the Afterlife

Question
Shalom, Rabbi Shishler. Firstly, forgive me for writing on Shabbat. Secondly, I have a question which has weighed on my mind for quite a while: what happens to animals who were used to do wicked deeds—such as the dogs owned by Southerners who would kidnap and re-enslave African-American slaves and the dogs owned by Nazis? I've always wondered about that and have never had the courage to ask.

L'Shabbat Shalom u'Mevorakh, and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Answer
Hi Nicole

What an interesting question!

According to Judaism, an animal is designed with a particular nature and is not expected to alter its nature. So, if a human trains an animal to be vicious, to harm people or the like, that person is responsible for what the animal does, not the animal.

I hope that helps.

Sincerely,

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler