Orthodox Judaism/About Animals and the Afterlife

Question
Shalom, Ovadiah. Firstly, forgive me for writing on Shabbat. Secondly, I have a question which has weighed on my mind for quite a while: what happens to animals who were used to do wicked deeds—such as the dogs owned by Southerners who would kidnap and re-enslave African-American slaves and the dogs owned by Nazis? I've always wondered about that and have never had the courage to ask.

L'Shabbat Shalom u'Mevorakh, and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Answer
Nicole,
Thank you for your kind question and obvious kind heart. I have no doubt that animals go to the World to Come (the Torah speaks of them as having a soul) and since animals really do not have free-will, they are all spotless and pure. Those who made them do those atrocities are the ones who must suffer the punishment, either in this life or the next, depending on your belief. "All dogs (and other animals) go to heaven". Hope this helps, Shalom!

Orthodox Judaism

Ovadiah ben Avraham