Orthodox Judaism/Has G-D changed His mind now?

Shalom Eli-

Okay, this might sound like I'm a nutcase, but seriously after pouring over the Tanach tirelessly into the wee hours MOST is bugging the heck out of me as to why from Bereshit to Malachi...the words or phrase..
'Thus saith Hashem' (you understand)
but from Matthew thru Revelations....there is not ONE phrase of it.

My wrestlestness lies with the Apostle Paul who makes alot of claims as to what the LORD told him, but it is never preceeded with 'THUS Saith the LORD'!

To me, that phrase was like a 'Signet ring" quote, an gurantee that the reader can be SURE that what is stated comes directly, without ANY doubt from our creator!  

This question has bothered me so much, I'm on the cusp of converting to fact I'd argue I'm already there in heart...

Tossing n Turning in Texas!

Hu Rumah,
this is a very good observation. Nevi'im, or Prophets, were direct transmitters of G-d's word, and it was very important that they precede their prophecy with the "thus says Hashem" phrase, as you have noted.

The prophecy ceased with the destruction of the Temple in year 70 of the common era. In today's terms, I could explain it (somewhat simplifying, of course), as follows. You may have a cell phone that's working very well, and you may be paying your bill every month. But when you go through a National Park, for example, you'll notice it doesn't work. That's because there are no cell towers in national parks (did you know that? I only learned that recently). So - similarly, a person even in today's society may be very righteous, and may merit to be a prophet, but the "cell tower" - conditions necessary for the prophecy (The Temple and also majority of Jews living in the Land of Israel) are not met, therefore prophecy is not an option at the moment.

Now... relative to the Christian bible... The writers of the Gospels cannot and do not claim a direct transmission from G-d. So Christians refer to the Christian Bible as "inspired" - but there's no prophecy that was a part of the Christian writings. For prophecies, they refer to the Torah and Tanach, and the misinterpretations they use are frequently staggering.

Hope that helps.

Orthodox Judaism

Eli Hadar

If you are a Jewish person who has been approached by missionaries and who is considering leaving the Jewish faith, please let me know and I will help you see how beautiful and moreover how right the Jewish religion is. Don't leave the truth of your fathers before you resolve the facts for yourself, and I can help you on that journey.

I have been involved in counter-missionary activity for several years, counseling many Jews who have left or have considered leaving Judaism having been attracted by other religions. I have been able to show the truth to these people through the correct reading of the texts (vs. deliberately wrong translations used by missionaries), through showing how missionaries manipulate the Jewish scriptures to achieve their goals, and through helping you rediscover the beauty and truth of authentic Judaism.

Chabad synagogue in Atlanta

Largely self-taught, I still am and will be learning for a long, long time. I have educated myself through a wealth of resources, including Nachmanides' Disputation, Hyam Maccoby's writings on Christianity and Judaism, as well as such vast resources as Outreach Judaism, Torah Atlanta, and a great number of others.