Orthodox Judaism/film - surviving the Holocaust

Question
Hello,
  I just saw this film and I wonder if there is a feeling that Hitler and the Nazis were demon possessed or influenced by the devil?  The things they did were so inhuman that they seem inspired by the devil.  What do you think?

Answer
Hi Ben

Many people do believe that Hitler and his followers were possessed. The reality is that humans have always been capable of depraved behaviour. In Genesis, G-d says that the human inclination is "evil from birth". Our tradition also teaches that Man was created from the earth, yet was given a lofty soul. This teaches us that we can each choose to soar to the highest spiritual heights or make terrible decisions and fall to the lowest levels.

In other words, we choose our own reality and are all susceptible to evil. Humans are meant to constantly work on improving their character and becoming better people. If we don't, any of us could sink to the horrible behaviour of history's worst villains.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler  

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler