Orthodox Judaism/Hebrew Names

I was recently asked to supply my Hebrew name in the following format _______ ben _______ v_______.
I know my Hebrew name and my father's name (after the ben), but I am not aware of what they want after the v. I would appreciate it very much if you could let me know what should is required after the V.
Thank you
Bill Langer

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the question.
The format you have described is asking for both of your parents Hebrew names. After the "v" you should write your mother's Hebrew name. "v" is transliterated Hebrew for the "vav" meaning "and".

Hope this helps!
Tzvi Frank

Orthodox Judaism

Tzvi Frank

As a scholar of Judaic Studies & Ethics for close to 25 years, I am happy to answer any of your questions regarding Jewish Law and its meaning as well as general Jewish philosophy. Thousands of years of Jewish religious scholarship teaches us to always ask questions. From the Talmud to this very day, scholars have been consistently questioning premises and concepts that exist in Jewish thought. Never be afraid to ask! The answer may change your life. I will not answer questions pertaining to Christianity or Jesus.

I have been a scholar of Jewish Studies & Ethics for close to 25 years and I have been responding to online questions for close to 10 years.

Have been published in numerous (Hebrew) Academic publications.

B.A. in Judaica Studies and Ethics.