Orthodox Judaism/A question for you

Do you or other members of your faith believe that you are in ANY way "over" me due to being the "chosen" ones.

I follow no religion.

Hi Joe,
while it is impossible to say what each individual member of my faith believes, I can tell you what Judaism teaches.

Most Jews hold that being the "Chosen People" means that they have been place on earth to fulfill a certain purpose. Traditional proof for Jewish "chosenness" is found in the Torah, the Jewish bible, in the Book of Deuteronomy (chapter 14) where it says: "For you are a holy people to Hashem your God, and God has chosen you to be his treasured people from all the nations that are on the face of the earth." In the Book of Genesis (chapter 17) it also written: "And I [G-d] will establish My covenant between Me and you [the Jewish people] and your descendants after you in their generations, for an everlasting covenant, to be God to you and your descendants after you."

The Jewish concept of the "Chosen People" is not a badge of superiority and separation. Quite the contrary: Jewish chosenness is a humble call to action and responsibility. Jews are chosen much as one may say to a child: "The room needs cleaning, and I choose you to do the work; you are my 'chosen' child." In this way, all people are chosen for something. Jews specifically have been chosen to, or have chosen to, be of service to others so that the world may be a more just place.

With that, Judaism teaches that just like the Jews were chosen for a task (to bring monotheism to a then-polytheistic world), so were the Gentiles (non-Jews). These tasks are distinctly different. The task of Gentiles is not so much to burden themselves with numerous commandments that Jews have (kosher food diet, numerous prohibitions and such that aren't required of non-Jews), but to build out this world to make it the best it can be, from the physical perspective. To make it beautiful; to make it bountiful. And that's why, some contend, G-d isn't happy when either of us forget what we were chosen for. When Jews deviate from the laws of Torah and become overly concerned with physical, thus destroying their purpose, G-d angers. When the Gentiles destroy this world (in wars, etc) rather than build, G-d angers. At the same time, we provide light and life for each other: Jews help maintain the world's spiritual axis by reinforcing G-d's singularity and unity; Gentiles help maintain the world's physical axis by creating new and beautiful inventions that take advantage of the laws of chemistry, physics, and math. Remember, Abraham the Jew recognized that there was a single G-d ruling the universe, while people who discovered the laws of physics, chemistry, and other sciences, and applications of those laws (airplanes flying, spaceships, antibiotics saving our lives, even a lightbulb we turn on every day) were all non-Jews.

Jews' special status, quite frankly, earned them more grief than anything, because people tend to misinterpret and manipulate its meaning. Tevye the Milkman in "Fiddler on the Roof" understood the nature of chosenness well when he cried to the heavens, "I know, I know. We are Your chosen people. But, once in a while, can't You choose someone else?" And then he set out to invite a stranger to his home for dinner.  

Orthodox Judaism

Eli Hadar

If you are a Jewish person who has been approached by missionaries and who is considering leaving the Jewish faith, please let me know and I will help you see how beautiful and moreover how right the Jewish religion is. Don't leave the truth of your fathers before you resolve the facts for yourself, and I can help you on that journey.

I have been involved in counter-missionary activity for several years, counseling many Jews who have left or have considered leaving Judaism having been attracted by other religions. I have been able to show the truth to these people through the correct reading of the texts (vs. deliberately wrong translations used by missionaries), through showing how missionaries manipulate the Jewish scriptures to achieve their goals, and through helping you rediscover the beauty and truth of authentic Judaism.

Chabad synagogue in Atlanta

Largely self-taught, I still am and will be learning for a long, long time. I have educated myself through a wealth of resources, including Nachmanides' Disputation, Hyam Maccoby's writings on Christianity and Judaism, as well as such vast resources as Outreach Judaism, Torah Atlanta, and a great number of others.