Orthodox Judaism/resurrection

Question
QUESTION: How is the resurrection of the dead different from
reincarnation?
Thank you very much for your help.

ANSWER: Hi Jennifer

As you have probably guessed, this is a complex, involved topic.

The short answer is that souls reincarnate into different bodies over the course of history in order to progress spiritually and/or complete spiritual missions. Each subsequent resurrection helps the soul's growth in Heaven.

Resurrection happens in the Messianic Age, where the soul returns to a human body and lives in spiritual bliss, as a human on earth, not as a soul in heaven.

There is some debate as to which body is resurrected, considering that the soul would have reincarnated into multiple bodies. Perhaps the easiest explanation is that a soul is compared in Scripture to a candle. Just as a candle can ignite other candles, without losing any of its original flame, likewise, one soul can "ignite" a whole new body and life, without the original soul actually entering into and living in that body.

I know this may all sound a little confusing, so please let me know if you need any further clarity.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

QUESTION: Thanks for your response, and yes I still need clarity.

When the soul is resurrected during the Messianic Age, how is that
different than the soul being reincarnated during previous ages?

Does it have something to do with an eternal body that doesn't die?

Thanks very much for your help.

Answer
Hi Jennifer

The concept of reincarnation is that one soul dies and ignites a new soul that lives in a new body. The life experiences of this second soul can also work to benefit the original soul.

Resurrection is when the original soul comes back to live again in its original body.

I hope that helps clarify the distinction. Please feel free to keep the questions coming.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler