Orthodox Judaism/Singular vs. Plural of a word in Torah

Question
I have a question about the word mishkebi (מִשְׁכְּבֵ֣י) in Lev.18:22 and its relation to mishkeb (מִשְׁכַּ֣ב) in Judges 21:11-12. The first is plural, the second is singular. Is it the "Yod" at the end of the first that makes it plural as opposed the the second one that has no "Yod"? Or is it the vowels that change whether it is plural or singular? Thank you!

Answer
Hi Frank

Yes, you are correct, the י at the end of the word is the first indicator of plural. It would normally be a ים at the end of the word, but this is a possesive term, which is linked to the following word. When that happens, the ם drops to indicate that the word links to the word that follows.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler