Orthodox Judaism/The Temple

I was wondering why G_d would let Herod the Great build the third temple?  G_d would not let King David build the temple because he was a man of blood.  But Herod the Great was also a man of blood.  Can you explain?

Hi Dan,

Herod did not build the 3rd Temple, he fixed the 2nd Temple.  In addition, the 1st Temple Solomon built included G-d's Holy Presence which went into exile at the destruction of the 1st Temple and has not returned until this very day.

I would suggest therefore that fixing an existing edifice does not require the same caliber of man as constructing something new and the same goes for a Holy Place that is missing a key element.

Best regards,

Orthodox Judaism

David Rosenblum

I am an ex-student of yeshiva and I like to be presented with Torah study problems. If you have studied the Torah and have questions on the subject matter, I want to hear about it. I am not a Rabbi and not qualified to decide halachic issues. I am still interested in halachic questions for which I can sometimes offer general guidelines or present decisions in halachic works such as Mishna Berurah. I welcome questions from non-Jewish people but I cannot respond to religious references that are not part of Judaism. If you are working on a paper or doing research and want general information on a Jewish subject, I may or may not satisfy your need, depending on how comfortable I am with the question. If you have a personal problem, I am not qualified to help you but I will do what I can to offer you some assistance.

yeshiva student

Yeshiva student