Orthodox Judaism/unusual word, ?Yiddish or Hebrew

Question
This is really a strange question. I'm trying to track down a word that I heard somewhere recently, which I'm fairly sure begins with 'g', possibly "ge". The word has something to do with a storage area for documents, possibly in a cemetery, or a temple (but I think it was the former). I'm writing a story related to this, and if this word/concept does in fact exist, I would love to know more about it. Thanks for any illumination you can throw on this!!

Answer
Hi Judith

You are probably looking for the word "geniza" or גניזה which means "archive".
These were often found in the attics of synagogues and basically was a "dumping ground" for religious books that have outlived their useful life.
After some time when those archives needed purging due to space constraints etc they were buried in a Jewish Cemetery.

Hope this helps!

Tzvi

Orthodox Judaism

Tzvi Frank