Orthodox Judaism/Adam & Eve

QUESTION: Did G-d forgive them?

ANSWER: Hi Jennifer

Great question!

The rule of thumb is that G-d always forgives. We may live with the consequences of our misdeeds even after He forgives us, but He forgives as soon as we do appropriate Teshuvah (repentance).

Part of the Teshuvah process is to be exiled, which is what happened to Adam and Eve, who were sent away from the Garden of Eden. Our tradition also says that they embarked on a process of introspection and repentance. We can, therefore, assume that G-d forgave them.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

QUESTION: Thanks for your response.

Do you know where it says that they embarked on
a process of introspection and repentance?

Hi Jennifer

The Torah says that Adam and Eve had a son, Seth, after 130 years. The Talmud understands that they separated from each other for those 130 years, as they embarked on a thorough process of introspection and self-cleansing. Once they felt that they had achieved some degree of reconciliation with G-d, they felt ready to bring another child into the world.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler

I am a rabbi who loves teaching, through writing and speaking. In 1999, my wife and I started our own Chabad House and it's grown exponentially. I'm also the learning director at Chabad House of Johannesburg, a high school teacher and the father of young children. As you can imagine, I get to answer lots of questions every day. I'd be glad to answer your questions on Judaism, Jewish spirituality and practice.

I have been a practicing Orthodox rabbi since 1997 and have headed my own community since 1999. I teach Talmud at a religious high school in Johannesburg and give daily lectures to adults on Jewish practice, spiritualty, Chassidic philosophy and Kabbalah. I'm the campus rabbi at our two major universities in Johannesburg.

Chabad-Lubavitch South African Rabbinical Association.

Monthly column in Jewish Life magazine, South Africa. Jewish Tradition, South Africa. Jewish Report, South Africa. South African Union of Jewish Students annual Holiday guide. Jewish Observer, South Africa. Nshei Chabad Newsletter, NY. Jewish Online Magazine. www.chabad.org

After completing high scool, I spent six years studying in Rabbinical seminaries in South Africa, Israel and New York.

www.chabad.org www.askmoses.com ChaiFM (www.chaifm.com) Jewish Life magazine