Orthodox Judaism/follow-up

I would appreciate getting clarity on your statement that everybody has a share in the world to come unless he bails to another faith or commits sins such as murder, theft, adultery.

Is there no forgiveness in the afterlife for conversion in this life?

Also, I am very intrigued by your statement that Jesus may have thought that he failed in his mission because I always heard that the mission was to die to wipe out the sins of mankind.  If you can clarity, I would be so grateful.

Many thanks, and I am very conscious of the time and thought you give to answering my questions and hope that my inquisitive spirit is still welcomed.

ANSWER: Greetings Ms. Jennifer,
Glad to be of help and thanks for the follow-up.

"Is there no forgiveness in the afterlife for conversion in this life?"
I was speaking of unrepented sin or something so egregious (Hitler comes to mind) that forgiveness is unlikely (remember that sins between man can only be forgiven by G-d after they have been forgiven by the offended party.

On Jesus' mission, that is the Christian perspective, not the Jewish one. Christians used salvation as a synonym of forgiveness, Jews would use it (if we used that word) more for redemption. The Prophets no where tell us of a messiah that will remove our sins and the Torah is clear that each individual must deal with their own sin; no one else can accept the penalty for them (remember Moses in the wilderness asking to be blotted out of the book rather than G-d smitting the Israelites, but G-d refuses.

An interesting parallel is Zechariah and the Garden story ("How many swords do we have" and 'the mountain shall cleave')- when this did not happen and he got arrested, the jig seems to up, so to speak.

Hope this helps. Shalom!

QUESTION: Thanks for explaining the Christian and Jewish perspectives, and
thanks for the Moses analogy.   It explains the concept perfectly.

Is conversion to another religion a sin?  If yes, how is it forgiven?

Also, what's the difference between salvation and redemption?

Is it that in salvation, someone pays for our sins to be forgiven whereas in the latter, we work out our own forgiveness?

Many thanks again.

Perhaps using the words in a sentence may help, from the Jewish perspective:

G-d saved us from the Egyptians
G-d redeemed us from Egypt

"Saved" in Judaism is always from physical danger, not from sin.

They are essentially the same. Not sure how to use saved in a similar fashion under the Christian paradigm other than the way I'm sure you've heard it used.

The second commandment in Judaism (first in the Christian schematic) says "you shall have no gods before Me" and "make no idols". If one converts to a religion that has a god other than THE G-d we met at Sinai or if we believe in any visual representation of G-d (remember the golden calf incident) then we are indeed sinning. Forgiveness? Always always always returning and seeking forgiveness. "Return to Me and I will return to you saith the L-rd of Hosts".

I believe this system only allows a certain number of follow ups so if you get a rejection notice it is not me but rather the system. You might want to start another question next time.

Glad to be of help. Blessings!

Orthodox Judaism

Ovadiah ben Avraham

Willing to answer and research general Halakhah questions in any field, including medical ethics. No synagogue or ritual type questions except by non-Jews looking for a brief summary.

Yeshiva and self-study

Jewish Spiritual Humanism

Doctorate Degree