Orthodox Judaism/homework

Question
QUESTION: Hi,

Sorry, no.

I'm still stuck on your reference to Zechariah and the Garden and on how the reference to Amalekites fits into the conversation about conversion.

ANSWER: Hello,

Compare these 2 verses:

Zechariah 14:4 (KJV)
And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which [is] before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, [and there shall be] a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.

Luke 22:38 And they said, Lord, behold, here are two swords. And he said unto them, It is enough.
39 And he came out, and went, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.

I believe that Jesus thought the events of Zechariah 14 would transpire (thus ushering in the kingdom of G-d) as a result of he, the messiah (in his mind and that of his followers) as a result of his presence and the battle (hence their need for swords) that would ensue. When it didn't and he was arrested, he realized that things were not going as planned and when he was ultimately executed he realized he was not the messiah (I use the definitive article, yet in reality the Scriptures never say 'the' messiah.

Amalek was a reference to the weak in their own faith being the ones that convert out of Judaism and that the weak and rather defenseless are the ones the missionaries prey upon.

Hope that clears that up. Shalom

QUESTION: Hi,

Wow!  What a revelation regarding Zechariah and Luke.  Thank you.

I didn't know that the Gospels don't use the definitive article for
"the" messiah.   How do they refer to Jesus as messiah if not
in the definitive article?

As far as the Amalekites, I thought they were the enemies of the Israelites who were supposed to be conquered by the Israelites, and now I learned from
you that they were converts out of Judaism.

Is that an accurate understanding?

Answer

...you're welcome. It's a reasonable theory I believe...

in the definitive article?

...Jews don't refer to Jesus as the (or even a) messiah. Most Christians don't realize there is no "the" anywhere related to messiah. We have had numerous messiahs (King Hezikiah {"his name shall be the mighty G-d...that's what his name means}, Moses, King Cyrus {"the" messiah of Daniel, etc) and the Hebrew Scriptures tell us what to look for when the next arrives (universal peace, rebuilt Temple)...

.,.you are correct, I was using them as an analogy to those who the missionaries prey upon now (the weak and vulnerable).

Shalom!

Orthodox Judaism

Ovadiah ben Avraham