Orthodox Judaism/regarding Adam

Why was the need for God to create Adam according to Judaism. What was He doing before creating Adam? Does God have structure as it is mentioned in old testament that God created Adam in His image.

Currently, scientists are claiming that humans descended from common ancestors because of evolution. How could the the story of Adam be justified in light of science.

Hi Amtry

There are few layers to why G-d created humans (or Adam as the first human). The one is that G-d is the ultimate source of kindness and the nature of kindness is to share kindness. To do that, He had to create beings who could receive and benefit from His kindness.

Another, which is really interesting, is that G-d desired to have beings (humans) who could have the free choice to make horrible mistakes, but would instead choose to follow His guidelines and transform the world from a place of materialism to a reality of holiness.

G-d certainly has no physical image. The "image" that the Torah describes really means the way that G-d chooses to project Himself to our world. In other words, G-d chooses to show kindness to His world, and humans reflect this by having the character of kindness. G-d is the ultimate in discipline, humans reflect this with our capacity for self-control.

When we say we are created in His "image", we mean that our character traits are modeled on His perfect character.

Jews are not overly concerned about science's "contentions" against Torah. True science is always a work in progress, constantly testing its own theories. Torah, on the other hand, is G-d's word, which is eternal. Science has already, and will continue to uncover truths of Torah.

I hope that is helpful.

Kind regards,

Rabbi Shishler

Orthodox Judaism

Rabbi Ari Shishler

I am a rabbi who loves teaching, through writing and speaking. In 1999, my wife and I started our own Chabad House and it's grown exponentially. I'm also the learning director at Chabad House of Johannesburg, a high school teacher and the father of young children. As you can imagine, I get to answer lots of questions every day. I'd be glad to answer your questions on Judaism, Jewish spirituality and practice.

I have been a practicing Orthodox rabbi since 1997 and have headed my own community since 1999. I teach Talmud at a religious high school in Johannesburg and give daily lectures to adults on Jewish practice, spiritualty, Chassidic philosophy and Kabbalah. I'm the campus rabbi at our two major universities in Johannesburg.

Chabad-Lubavitch South African Rabbinical Association.

Monthly column in Jewish Life magazine, South Africa. Jewish Tradition, South Africa. Jewish Report, South Africa. South African Union of Jewish Students annual Holiday guide. Jewish Observer, South Africa. Nshei Chabad Newsletter, NY. Jewish Online Magazine. www.chabad.org

After completing high scool, I spent six years studying in Rabbinical seminaries in South Africa, Israel and New York.

www.chabad.org www.askmoses.com ChaiFM (www.chaifm.com) Jewish Life magazine