Orthopedics/Severe shoulder pain when throwing.

A C wrote at 2012-05-02 12:24:00
If you do not want to undergo surgery and lose a year and a half of baseball, try icing it extensively.  Ice it BEFORE any throwing, and of course after.  Ice it when you are sitting around the house, for ten minutes on, then ten minutes off.  Use an ice pack specific for this, i.e one designed to not cause frostbite.  

This icing should reduce all of the inflammation long enough for you to get through a game pain free, and with a little velocity.

tyson wrote at 2014-05-25 20:33:53
updare ? I'm having the same thing for 3 years and 3 mris done and keeps saying everything is good.  

Joe A Shaw PA-C

Most general questions that have to do with orthopedic and /or occupational medicine or ergonomics. With a focus on upper extremity disorders such as carpal tunnel syndrome. After many years of treating and diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome I have developed a detailed website about carpal tunnel syndrome at

I have been a board certified Physician Assistant for 17 years, in the fields of occupational and orthopedic medicine.

American Academy of Physician Assistants, State Academy of Physician Assistants.

Physician Assistant degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine PA program. Bachelor of Health and Science degree. Board Certified Physician Assistant, Ergonomic certification, University of Michigan ergonomics certification. Associate Science degree in Emergency Medical Technology. Former Paramedic, EMT and Firefighter.

Current certifications in Advanced Cardiac Life support, and Basic life support, and CPR certification. University of Michigan Ergonomic training and certification.