Orthopedics/Hip replacement with groin pain

plumbernj wrote at 2008-09-27 20:46:26

I had  a 2 incision thr in 2005, 1 year post op I had the pain pain in the are where the front incision was made, I went back to my surgeon at that time and was told by him that I had to live with the pain.

Recently I went to see the head of ortho surgery at HSS in manhattan and was told after having an emg and a steroid shot in the joint, that I had irreparable muscle and tissue damage and the the incision front groin incision area had an undulation and looked sloppy, I feel your pain and have almost giving up hope that I will resolve this

new jersey

brenda shpehrd wrote at 2010-07-13 15:10:28
had hip replacement, terrible groin pain turned out the cement had leaked onto a nerve which is also giveing me back pain

orthopedic surgeons r azzholes wrote at 2011-05-12 04:28:56
the pain is caused by the increase in length of the leg then your body was designed for. a lift will do no good at all. it just artificially lengthens the other leg. this in no way will alleviate the pain because your surgeon put too large a replacement in. your tendons or ligaments are stretched beyond what they were designed. nobody will help you because your surgeon is going to have to admit to a mistake. no doctor in the history of the world has ever admitted to a mistake. i have the same problem. go ahead with surgery if offered otherwise there is no hope anyway. take your chances. i would rather have no leg than the one they gave me.

M wrote at 2012-03-14 16:11:49
This is exactly my problem!  I had a total hip replacement about 18 months ago and am experiencing pain when lifting leg.  One thing I have noticed though after challenging myself past a comfort zone of 15 minutes of power walking on treadmill, I can now lift leg more easily into car or rolling over.  Therefore, I am wondering if it is continued strength building and conditioning of muscles, tendons, etc.  Boy, the recovery is much longer than expected and now I am nursing the other hip in preparation of a future replacement because of dyplasia.

JiminKY wrote at 2013-06-06 20:44:43
I had my right hip replaced in 2006 and the left one replaced in 2007. I was moderately pleased with the results until about 2010 - around 3 years ago, when I began to have the aforementioned groin pain in both legs. The right hip is especially sensitive. It has gotten to the point where getting in and out of my vehicle is extremely difficult and painful. My orthopedist saw me about this 2 months ago and states that the X-rays indicate no problem. There IS a problem and I am very frustrated in getting the problem addressed and fixed. Along with the groin pain I also experience what feels like very extreme muscle fatigue in both butt cheeks whenever I walk for 15 minutes or longer or am on my feet for extended periods of time. I need help and can't get it. Where to turn for answers....???  

Shaun wrote at 2014-10-12 03:45:55
I am experiencing the exact same pain after my hip replacement! Start PT soon for what I was told is a pulled groin. My leg length however is not 2 different lengths.

Sharon Davis

I can answer questions on physical therapy after hip replacements; The problem of depression after this surgery; How to find a good surgeon; What questions to ask when interviewing a surgeon; What to expect after surgery; How hip surgery affects a younger person; What you can expect insofar as healing; Pregnancy issues, and all general questions on recuperation.

I had my first set of bi-lateral hips put in at the age of 16. I am now 50. I have had to have my legs virtually reconstructed each time I have had the surgery. I know first hand how this surgery can affect all facets of homelife, career, child bearing, and physical appearance.

BA English 1981 Wagner College, Staten Island, NY
BA Education 1983 CUNY, Staten Island, NY
MA Special Education 1984 CUNY, Staten Island, NY