Orthopedics/tingling and numbness in right foot

Question
Hi there! I'm a 22 yr old (normally healthy) female. Yesterday, about an hour after I woke up, I noticed my fingertips on both hands were tingling and numb. Within an hour, both hands were tingling and numb, with some parts of my left arm. I was terrified, but I had to go to work (waitressing) and didn't want to be a hypochondriac. By the end of my shift at the end of the night, the tingling in my hands had subsided a bit, but stuff still didn't feel quite right. I also noticed by right foot having some of the sensations as well.

I do have a history of chronic back pain (nothing really diagnosed, just broken down facet joints from years of dancing, and constant pain in my L3 and SI joints). I haven't had an injury lately (although I did slip and fall 3 nights ago, but I only have some bruising on my knees, and I didn't feel any particular unusual pain afterwards or during the fall). However, my back and neck do feel overall more ache-y and pained, though it could easily be stress-related due to finals week in college, hunched over studying a lot, etc. OR it could be something else...

This morning, I woke up and so far, there's only slight numbness in my hands and arms, although I do notice my right foot more prominently tingling. I went to the bathroom and within about 7 seconds of sitting down, my right foot started tingling as if I had been sitting there for an hour. I have no shooting pain down my legs or any weird headaches or blurred vision, etc, but I am extremely worried about what this could mean. I'm always extremely cautious about my back, and the fact that it's slightly hurting more, coupled with extremity numbness does not make me feel great about my current state!

I understand that going to the doctor is easiest, but after 3 years of going to doctors for my back pain--that still goes undiagnosed--I'm a bit hesitant.

Thank you!

Answer
Dear Barbara,
This Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618,Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
For your foot numbness.....
Although most inconsistent numbness is suspect to irritation around the spine(tight muscles & or arthritic changes) your symptoms warrant a closer look. Try to see a board certified internist who can rule out most other diagnoses and get a good diagnosis for your back pain. For now-try to find the most comfortable sleep positions and do gentle stretches of your lower back and neck. Perhaps it might be as simple as your sleep position and lack of sleep. If these symptoms become worse-seek a second opinion sooner.

Hope This Helps!
and
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in foot & ankle pain.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661
AnkleNFoot.com
Runnersdoc.com
BabyFootDoc.com

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Orthopedics

Dr George Tsatsos