Orthopedics/Knee feels funny...?

Question
Well for almost a month now my knee has been having a strange feeling. It's kind of hard to describe but it feels like its numb. I can feel it when i touch my knee, but it feels numb?? Umm it has a feeling of heaviness and feels full. It just over all feels funny. Its at the top of my knee. At first i thought it was just a one day thing, but it continued for a couple weeks. And it didnt start hurting until now. And the other day it hurt whenever i walked. Now it hurts for a couple minutes then stops. But the funny feeling is still there. My grandma said its probably growing pains, but i stopped growing two years ago. Ummm if this helps i did gymnastics from the age of eight until ten. Karate from 10-12. Volleyball from about 12-14. And did tumbling(basically gymnastics) from 13 to about 16. For christmas i walked about 2 miles to my destination then two miles back from where i started. I hadent exercised like that since i quit tumbling. I had no knee issues until recently.  Soo whats wrong with my knee?

Answer
Dear Sarah,

This Chicago Podiatrist, Elmhurst Podiatrist & West Loop Podiatrist says.......
Your knee pain sounds like mild capsulitis or bursitis fluid in the knee)of the knee joint secondary to walking. You may have stretched the muscles around the knee with possibly the wrong footwear & or terrain.
There is no such thing as growing pains. Pain is not normal. In the past when kids would over-exercise, have the wrong gear or technique, not be the right physical build for the activity, they would injure growth areas. Many kids were fortunate to recover-but not all.
Go see your local podiatrist to see if it's due to your shoes
Fo now do PRICE
Protect- limit the movements that aggravate it.
Rest-Speaks for itself-rest it.
Ice- Will help if it is painful and a little with the swelling. Use heat for stiffness only after one more week. If it hurts-go back to icing.
Compress-Ace wrap  or knee sleeve
Elevate-Will help if it throbs or swells.
Continue with gentle range of motion.
Improvement will be slow-because the knee is used daily in all weight bearing activities.
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in foot & ankle orthopedics & sports injuries.

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661
AnkleNFoot.com
Runnersdoc.com
BabyFootDoc.com

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Orthopedics

Dr George Tsatsos