Orthopedics/Knee pain after lifting

Four days ago I went to lift weights with my friends. We did squats and deadlifts, and benchpressed. This was the first time I've really ever lifted weights, so I started out pretty lightly (although in hindsight maybe I should have gone lighter). Unfortunately, I've been experiencing some really persistent pain in my legs that are worse than the usual soreness you feel after working out, mostly the thigh/knee area. My arms were sore, but nothing out of the ordinary. For two days after the workout, it was extremely hard to walk up/down stairs, and my knees would occasionally buckle when I was walking. My legs are incredibly stiff/tight and it's hard to lift them past a certain point. Two days after the workout, I thought the pain I felt was normal, so I went to play tennis since working out is supposed to east soreness. This seemed to make things worse. Fortunately, they are slowly getting better, and I'm not completely incapacitated or anything, but I'm just wondering if there is something wrong, or if this is normal. There is no redness or swelling, but I'm still a bit concerned cause the pain is more acute than just regular soreness.

Dear Quynh,
This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618,Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
Your sports info was wrong...and this is normal
You had the usual muscle soreness after a heavy workout-that should only be stretched and activity resumed after being mostly pain free. The tennis aggravated your muscle soreness.
Start with gentle stretching-maybe gentle yoga or Tai Chi or similar (not tennis). Let your body heal, and then resume activities slowly.
Hope this helps
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of are specialists in orthopedics and fracture care.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

Dr George Tsatsos

All questions related to orthopedics of the Lower Extremities-with a specialization in Foot & Ankle Orthopedics & Surgery-Adults & Children Sports Medicine questions of the lower extremities-including runner's injuries. Second Opinion specialist in Foot and Ankle problems including fractures and revision surgery. All questions relating to foot and ankle problems in Children, Sports medicine of the foot and ankle Runner's and walking problems

Board Certified in Surgery & Orthopedics of the Foot & Ankle. PRIVATE PRACTICES: Ankle N Foot, 2220 W Belmont Ave., Chgo., IL 60618 since 1979 Ankle & Foot Center of Elmhurst, 401 N.York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1989. Physicians Suites, Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il, 60624, since1980. HOSPITAL & SURGICAL AFFILIATIONS: Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il.- Podiatry staff since 1979 Glen Oaks Medical Center, 701 Winthrop, Glen Dale Hts, IL – Podiatry staff since 1997. Elmhurst Medsurge, 401 N. York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1999 Resurrection Health Care Surgery Center, 3101 N. Harlem Ave., Chicago, IL, since 1999 Chicago Neurologic & Orthopedic Hospital, 4501 N. Winchester Ave., Chicago, IL, since 2008 Organizations

Member American & Illinois Podiatric Medical Association Member of the National & Midwest Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery. Member of American College of Sports Medicine. Member of American Medical Athletic Association. Member of Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council.

Prolotherapy in the Treatment of Foot Problems Clinical Correspondence, June 2002. Vol 92- no. 6 Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Paper on Treatment of Delta-Phalanx of the Foot – submitted for publication to Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery & for Fellowship of ACPPS., September, 1998 Sports Medicine Consultant for the book-Triathlon 101 Essentials for Multisport Success by John Mora – 1999 ISBN 0-88011-811-3 Windy City Sports – October 1996 Marathon Issue “Keeping Your Feet Happy” American Running & Fitness Association, Clinic Advisor & Lifetime Member – Editorial Staff since 1990.

Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedists, since 1991. Fellow-Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery, since 1980. Fellow- American Institute of Foot Medicine , since 1987. Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Pediatrics, since 1998. Certified in Laser Surgery- by Wenske Laser Center, Ravenswood Hospital, 1991. Certified in Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy – by Doctor’s Hospital, 1991. Certified Preceptorship Director-Scholl College of Podiatry 1993-2006 Board Certified in Foot & Ankle Surgery-A.B.M.S.P., since 1987. Recertified 8/08 till 3/31/2012 Board Certified in Podiatric Foot & Ankle Orthopedics-A.B.P.O.P.P.M., 1991. Recertified 10/2003 till 12/2013 Board Certified in Pain Management-A.A.P.M., since 1990.-retired Clinical Instructor – Department of Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University 10/2007 until present