Orthopedics/Hip pain

QUESTION: Hi, I am a 21 year old female. I have been having pain in my hips for a month or so and it only seems to be getting worse. It doesn't hurt when I am sitting but as soon as I stand its very painful. The pain slowly starts to lessen the longer I stand. It hurts to sleep on my sides. I have a severe nickel  allergy that causes Contact dermatitis on my hands and arms. My nickel allergy is affected by what I eat. I read that If I eat too much nickel it could cause joint pain. That is why I added that. I really don't know what is causing this and it really hurts. What could this be? What doctor should I see about it?

ANSWER: Courtney,
You don't list wt. but if normal wt this will help no matter the cause. Also no smoking as this decreases blood supply to joints. I would go to orthopedist-and one who does hips. You are awful young for the typical hip stuff that is seen, but xrays, and eventual MRI is likely. The most benign and obvious thing is GTB greater trochanter bursitis,where the bursa on outside of hip gets inflamed, usually only seen in one hip or the other. A simple cortisone /lidocaine injection in office usually helps. I'm not sure about the nickle allergy thing but would be interested if you learn about that. Most ortho's would probably be clueless as well on that. Not sure How you would be eating nickle? and why would it just reside in hip joints and not other joints?

QUESTION: I am over weight I'm 231 pounds and I'm 5' 1" but I am losing weight.
Could that make this something else?

It is just putting more pressure or wear and tear on hip joints and eventually the knee joints. You are born with only so much cartilage and once it is worm through, there's not much you can do. Shark cartilage, glucosomine etc don't rebuild cartilage. I would try OTC aleve etc..per label, Not tylenol, if not better in a few weeks see an ortho  

Joe A Shaw PA-C

Most general questions that have to do with orthopedic and /or occupational medicine or ergonomics. With a focus on upper extremity disorders such as carpal tunnel syndrome. After many years of treating and diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome I have developed a detailed website about carpal tunnel syndrome at

I have been a board certified Physician Assistant for 17 years, in the fields of occupational and orthopedic medicine.

American Academy of Physician Assistants, State Academy of Physician Assistants.

Physician Assistant degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine PA program. Bachelor of Health and Science degree. Board Certified Physician Assistant, Ergonomic certification, University of Michigan ergonomics certification. Associate Science degree in Emergency Medical Technology. Former Paramedic, EMT and Firefighter.

Current certifications in Advanced Cardiac Life support, and Basic life support, and CPR certification. University of Michigan Ergonomic training and certification.