Orthopedics/pain near elbow

Hello Doctor,

I am a 45 year old woman that may have experienced an injury in my right arm last October, 5 months ago. I was using a leaf blower and something happened to my elbow. Since then I have been having pain in this area. When I fully extend my arm, I feel tension-like pain in the area to the side of my elbow. I can lift objects directly from the floor with my arm fully extended without any pain. I have to maintain the full extension though. I cannot lift objects with that arm without pain when I start lifting an object then try curling it. What could I have injured to cause this joint pain? Shouldn't it have healed by now?

Thank you so much for your opinion Doctor, I really appreciate it.

Sounds either like lateral or medial epicondylitis, these are the knobs at our elbows where the muscle/tendons insert. It is caused by usage. It can take months to get over,b/c it can be continually flared up. Try OTC nsaids, ice 3 x day,moist heat, range of motion exercise,stores ell elbow straps which may help,if after 4 wks its not better-go to your doctor/ortho for Rx nsaid,PT and possible cortisone injection. Surgery is rarely indicated.

Joe A Shaw PA-C

Most general questions that have to do with orthopedic and /or occupational medicine or ergonomics. With a focus on upper extremity disorders such as carpal tunnel syndrome. After many years of treating and diagnosing carpal tunnel syndrome I have developed a detailed website about carpal tunnel syndrome at

I have been a board certified Physician Assistant for 17 years, in the fields of occupational and orthopedic medicine.

American Academy of Physician Assistants, State Academy of Physician Assistants.

Physician Assistant degree from the University of Florida College of Medicine PA program. Bachelor of Health and Science degree. Board Certified Physician Assistant, Ergonomic certification, University of Michigan ergonomics certification. Associate Science degree in Emergency Medical Technology. Former Paramedic, EMT and Firefighter.

Current certifications in Advanced Cardiac Life support, and Basic life support, and CPR certification. University of Michigan Ergonomic training and certification.