Orthopedics/Ganglion Cyst

Question
QUESTION: Good Evening Doc,

I have had this marble sized bump on my right hand, on the palm side at the base of my pointer finger. Went to the Hand Specialist to get it aspirated. He said he was unable to get all of it and to keep a watchful eye on it. Now my finger is stiff and sore, and the are where he gave the injection of Lidocaine is a bit swollen. How long should I wait to follow up? Is it normal to swell up a bit ? He did kind of dig around to pop the cyst. Any help wpuld be appreciated/

ANSWER: Dear Scott,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
Any area of injection/aspiration may be sore for up to a week. Any soreness internally should feel better within 2 weeks. Perhaps gentle massage of the area may help. If the soreness/pain increases-call your doctor. If in doubt-call your doctor.
On a side note-although I am honored that you would consider me an expert---it baffles me why the patient never calls their doctor back. It is the responsibility of the treating doctor to answer all treatment questions.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.
Options: Revise answer (Questioner will be notified again and the answer will be republished).

QUESTION: The reason i didnt ask the doctor is because i dont want to bother him with things like this, plus i dont want him looking at me as a hypochondriac. Thats the point of these boards, to ask questions.

Answer
Dear Scott,

This forum is to help people who are unable to obtain medical help. It is your doctor's obligation to answer your treatment questions. Not only would he give you a better answer----but also my time is just as important as your doctor's time.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck!
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:

Orthopedics

Dr George Tsatsos