Orthopedics/Large, hard, painless bump on side of shin

Question
I'm a 55 year old female, overweight, chronic edema,type 2 diabetes (well controlled).
A couple of months ago I discovered a hard bump on the inside of my shin while applying lotion to my legs and feet. It's only slightly raised, maybe a 1/2", but about the width and length of a lemon. The bottom of the bump begins about 2 inches above my ankle bone. It isn't painful at all, not moveable and not really discernible from my shin bone other than as I said, slightly raised. I showed it to my GP and he said he did not know what it is, but probably nothing to be concerned about. I was to keep and eye on it and return in a month. After a month there has been no change and on my followup visit this week, he once again told me to keep an eye on it and this time to return in 3 months. It doesn't bother me physically, but does have me a bit worried as my mom passed from Multiple Myeloma and a hard raised mass on her upper chest was the symptom she went to the doctor with. Any ideas what it could be or if it sounds like it might actually be something to be concerned about? Something to just wait about or seek a second opinion and if a second, would an Orthopedic Doctor be my correct choice? Thanking you in advance for your time and any advice or suggestions you might have for me.

Answer
Dear Connie,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
The growth on your ankle concerns may indicate you to seek a second opinion. It is hard to tell what a mass may be without a biopsy or other tests-which may or may not be needed in this case. You should have a good relationship with your primary care doctor, express your concerns & ask him/her for a referral.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

The Chicago Podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos,Svetlana Zats & Dr Mariano Rivera
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the podquestioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

Orthopedics

Dr George Tsatsos