Orthopedics/trying again

Question
Hello Dr. me again, I wrote you awhile back and you said since the question wasn't public you didn't answer.  I'm sorry, but I only did that because you were the only Podiatrist available.  there about 2 who haven't been available for a yr. or more, so I thought it was OK to put private.  I'd like to ask again if I may.    I found I have plantar faciliitis (sp), and I have some orthotic inserts, and I was told about 2 execises to use.  I don't know how many times a day, but I'm doing them 2 to  3 times a day.   What I'm most curious about is why is it, I've had some aching like a toothach, on and off, and yet there are days I get out of bed with minimal pain. even though that's when it was at its worse. And there are times I can go almost all day with almost nothing.  I have looked up info. re; this condition and read what a woman wrote saying there is nothing that can be done, orthotics, exercises, podiatrists etc, and people will just spend money for nothing. Of course this made me feel mildly depressed for a moment that's when I decided to go to  an expert.  I have fatty deposits on the outside of my ankles, as did my mother.  I'm not overweight, maybe a few pounds but nothing I would consider heavy, and again I guess not much I can do about that.  Just wanted your thoughts on it.  Like I said I'm most curious about why it isn't all that painful at times.  Whatever the reason I'd like to know why as not to have any real discomfort...thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Tyrone,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
Plantar fasciitis is a mechanical issue. The plantar fascia & other tissues pull and tear the periosteum (bone tissue)at the calcaneus. This happens when there is too much weight or activity is placed on the foot. This gets worse if you have tight calves. The best treatment is weight loss, decrease of activity levels, stretching of the plantar fascia & calves two times daily.
Wear a shoes with a little bit of a heel to help take some strain off the plantar fascia. The reason you have good days & bad days is dependent on the activity & shoes worn the day before.
See http://anklenfoot.com/Education/YourFeet/Heel/tabid/102/Default.aspx
Orthotics will help, but the above advice will help more. The fatty tissue that you are talking about on the sides of the ankle is a cosmetic issue. The fatty tissue can be removed-but not recommended.
The Chicago Podiatrists of AnkleNFootCenters.com are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos,Svetlana Zats & Dr Mariano Rivera
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the podquestioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

Orthopedics

Dr George Tsatsos