Orthopedics/persistent thigh pain in right leg

Dear Dr. Tsatsos,

For the past 3 months, I have suffered from persistent pain in my right thigh. It feels quite deep, is made worse by carrying a moderate load (i.e. 30lbs in a backpack). Sometimes it hurts when I am simply walking, sometimes not. When I lie down straight, the pain is made worse, and I often have to shift my legs while sitting down- there doesn't seem to be any one sitting position where the pain is fully alleviated over a long period of time. Stretching/yoga does not alleviate the pain, nor do any typical drugs (aspirin/acetaminophen/ibuprofen). Rubbing vigorously with sports cream also has no effect.
Some things to consider:
1.I have suffered from 'pins and needles'/a feeling of numbness in this exact area (but never pain) for the past 10 years, probably due to a pinched nerve of some sort ( but never diagnosed).

2. After a inguinal hernia 2 years ago, I gained 60 lbs (from a base ideal weight). The big change in my life this year is that I have lost 30lbs (in about 4 months) due to exercise. Could that contribute have contributed to the problem?

3. The pain has been accompanied by general weakness (not the dull thigh pain) in my knees. Not only is running out of the question, but lifting (squats/dead lifts, etc.) is also harder to do.

4. When this first came about, I thought that I had strained something from over exercise. But, after having taken it easy now for 2 months (and not having gained the wight back)- the thigh pain continues. This is worrisome. I know self-diagnosis can lead to unnecessary worry, and in this case I fear a blood clot in my leg. But, I do not have the symptoms- no redness or warmth tot the touch, it is outwardly normal.

5. I am 32 years old, and otherwise healthy. I still walk a lot every day/do push ups etc., non smoker/moderate drinker.

At any rate, I plan on seeing an orthopedist, but would like some help in figuring out what this is, and how I can get rid of it. Is an ultrasound better than an MRI in this case? Which, if either, should I ask for? Do you have any idea what this may be? Any help would deb much appreciated.

Dear John,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Ukranian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...

The orthopedist should be able to diagnose the issue.Sounds like a pinched nerve & this may also produce most of the sensations you are describing.
The symptoms are not of a blood clot.

The Chicago Podiatrists of are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Massard & Dr Kurtz
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & 60622. Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

Dr George Tsatsos

All questions related to orthopedics of the Lower Extremities-with a specialization in Foot & Ankle Orthopedics & Surgery-Adults & Children Sports Medicine questions of the lower extremities-including runner's injuries. Second Opinion specialist in Foot and Ankle problems including fractures and revision surgery. All questions relating to foot and ankle problems in Children, Sports medicine of the foot and ankle Runner's and walking problems

Board Certified in Surgery & Orthopedics of the Foot & Ankle. PRIVATE PRACTICES: Ankle N Foot, 2220 W Belmont Ave., Chgo., IL 60618 since 1979 Ankle & Foot Center of Elmhurst, 401 N.York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1989. Physicians Suites, Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il, 60624, since1980. HOSPITAL & SURGICAL AFFILIATIONS: Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il.- Podiatry staff since 1979 Glen Oaks Medical Center, 701 Winthrop, Glen Dale Hts, IL – Podiatry staff since 1997. Elmhurst Medsurge, 401 N. York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1999 Resurrection Health Care Surgery Center, 3101 N. Harlem Ave., Chicago, IL, since 1999 Chicago Neurologic & Orthopedic Hospital, 4501 N. Winchester Ave., Chicago, IL, since 2008 Organizations

Member American & Illinois Podiatric Medical Association Member of the National & Midwest Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery. Member of American College of Sports Medicine. Member of American Medical Athletic Association. Member of Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council.

Prolotherapy in the Treatment of Foot Problems Clinical Correspondence, June 2002. Vol 92- no. 6 Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Paper on Treatment of Delta-Phalanx of the Foot – submitted for publication to Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery & for Fellowship of ACPPS., September, 1998 Sports Medicine Consultant for the book-Triathlon 101 Essentials for Multisport Success by John Mora – 1999 ISBN 0-88011-811-3 Windy City Sports – October 1996 Marathon Issue “Keeping Your Feet Happy” American Running & Fitness Association, Clinic Advisor & Lifetime Member – Editorial Staff since 1990.

Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedists, since 1991. Fellow-Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery, since 1980. Fellow- American Institute of Foot Medicine , since 1987. Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Pediatrics, since 1998. Certified in Laser Surgery- by Wenske Laser Center, Ravenswood Hospital, 1991. Certified in Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy – by Doctor’s Hospital, 1991. Certified Preceptorship Director-Scholl College of Podiatry 1993-2006 Board Certified in Foot & Ankle Surgery-A.B.M.S.P., since 1987. Recertified 8/08 till 3/31/2012 Board Certified in Podiatric Foot & Ankle Orthopedics-A.B.P.O.P.P.M., 1991. Recertified 10/2003 till 12/2013 Board Certified in Pain Management-A.A.P.M., since 1990.-retired Clinical Instructor – Department of Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University 10/2007 until present