You are here:

Orthopedics/calcium supplement


I have some ShelCal ( tablets with me. The doctor has suggested some calcium supplements to my daughter (age 13).  Can I give ShelCal to my daughter?

They should be OK since it only contains calcium carbonate.  A better supplement with higher absorbability would be calcium citrate but either one should be fine. When someone reaches postmenopausal age is when it becomes important, at her age it isn't as critical.

Thank you for the question,

Dr. Timothy K. Durnin


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dr. Timothy K. Durnin


I can answer any and all questions relevant to orthopedics, orthopedic surgery, postoperative care, prevention and advice on latest procedures.


20 years in private practice treating primarily orthopedic conditions, Co-admitter Olympia Fields Osteopathic Hospital (Level I Trauma Center)- Many Chicago Bulls Patients

AASP (American Association of Spine Physicians ACA (American Chiropractic Association) ICA (Illinois Chiropractic Association)

BS/DC National University of Health Sciences 1991 Board Certified AMA impairment Ratings Presidential Cabinet Member NHUS

Awards and Honors
Who's Who/Doctor of the year award 1999/Presidential Cabinet Member NHUS

Past/Present Clients
Many Professional Athletes

©2017 All rights reserved.