Orthopedics/Post surgery swelling

Question
Hi. My question is regarding post finger surgery. This might not be your area of specialized expertise and for that I apologize, I just didn't know where else to ask.

I am in care of a Dr (but don't go back for 3 more weeks) and in physical therapy.

I had surgery on a broken ring finger and a bone spur removed. I had a pin removed from my finger after 5 weeks and have been in physical therapy for an additional 3 weeks (8 weeks total since my surgery).

My 2 questions, I really just need another opinion, are my finger is still significantly swollen - haven't seen any reduction is swelling - is this normal or should I be worried?

Also, I perform physical therapy exercises every 2 hours and my finger is still stiff (8 weeks after surgery, 3 weeks into therapy) when I restart my exercise every 2 hours. I just thought it would slowly start to get easier to bend. Is this typical?

Thank you for your time.

Answer
Dear Ken,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661, Roscoe Village 60618, Ukrainian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says,
It is possible for surgical sites to have swelling & stiffness up to 3 months.These are questions best directed to your doctor & therapist.
Perhaps wrapping the finger occasionally for the swelling-but carefully-not to cut off circulation.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera & Dr Massard
Chicago 60661, 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified swimming or wearing a knee bin Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Orthopedics

Dr George Tsatsos