Orthopedics/Shoulder tendinopathy

I realize you prefer questions on the lower extremities, however you are the only orthopedist available. My son is 28, full-time college student, works full-time. Recent MRI showed tendinopathy of left shoulder. He saw a very reputable orthopedist last week, started PT and is also interested in other pain relieving modalities. I saw him two days ago and was startled at how he is dealing with the shoulder pain. He had to have help pulling his shirt off. Complains of a lot of pain continuously. The doctor gave him diclofenac but nothing else. Since I saw my son I have been very concerned for him. He is a physical therapy assistant, therefore he uses his arms continuously. My question, very simply, is how can he or myself speak to the doctors office to possibly get something to take for pain just to get him through his work day? He is a 4.0 GPA student, working full time, so he is not a drug seeker. I feel that he could benefit from something just to get him through his shift, but the orthopedic did not prescribe anything except diclofenac.  I know there are a lot of regulations with controlled substances, but how can we talk to the doctor so that he will be assured that my son is not an abuser and just wants to get through his shift and continue with his studies? I realize this is a rather nebulous question, and I appreciate your feedback. Any other suggestions for tendinopathy pain would be very appreciated.

Dear Patti,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661, Roscoe Village 60618, Ukrainian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says,
The best medicine is rest.
You state he is a physical therapy assistant. He should modify his work, as to not use the bad shoulder, or just take some time off.
Pain meds may cloud his 4.0 GPA.
Let the doctor know & perhaps he will prescribe a different anti-inflammatory.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

Dr George Tsatsos,Dr Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Ryan Holmbeck & Dr Kevin Massard
Chicago 60661, 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified swimming or wearing a knee bin Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Dr George Tsatsos

All questions related to orthopedics of the Lower Extremities-with a specialization in Foot & Ankle Orthopedics & Surgery-Adults & Children Sports Medicine questions of the lower extremities-including runner's injuries. Second Opinion specialist in Foot and Ankle problems including fractures and revision surgery. All questions relating to foot and ankle problems in Children, Sports medicine of the foot and ankle Runner's and walking problems

Board Certified in Surgery & Orthopedics of the Foot & Ankle. PRIVATE PRACTICES: Ankle N Foot, 2220 W Belmont Ave., Chgo., IL 60618 since 1979 Ankle & Foot Center of Elmhurst, 401 N.York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1989. Physicians Suites, Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il, 60624, since1980. HOSPITAL & SURGICAL AFFILIATIONS: Bethany Hospital, 3435 W. Van Buren, Chgo., Il.- Podiatry staff since 1979 Glen Oaks Medical Center, 701 Winthrop, Glen Dale Hts, IL – Podiatry staff since 1997. Elmhurst Medsurge, 401 N. York Rd., Elmhurst, IL, 60126, since 1999 Resurrection Health Care Surgery Center, 3101 N. Harlem Ave., Chicago, IL, since 1999 Chicago Neurologic & Orthopedic Hospital, 4501 N. Winchester Ave., Chicago, IL, since 2008 Organizations

Member American & Illinois Podiatric Medical Association Member of the National & Midwest Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery. Member of American College of Sports Medicine. Member of American Medical Athletic Association. Member of Chicago Metropolitan Ski Council.

Prolotherapy in the Treatment of Foot Problems Clinical Correspondence, June 2002. Vol 92- no. 6 Journal of the American Podiatric Medical Association. Paper on Treatment of Delta-Phalanx of the Foot – submitted for publication to Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery & for Fellowship of ACPPS., September, 1998 Sports Medicine Consultant for the book-Triathlon 101 Essentials for Multisport Success by John Mora – 1999 ISBN 0-88011-811-3 Windy City Sports – October 1996 Marathon Issue “Keeping Your Feet Happy” American Running & Fitness Association, Clinic Advisor & Lifetime Member – Editorial Staff since 1990.

Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Orthopedists, since 1991. Fellow-Academy of Ambulatory Foot Surgery, since 1980. Fellow- American Institute of Foot Medicine , since 1987. Fellow-American College of Foot & Ankle Pediatrics, since 1998. Certified in Laser Surgery- by Wenske Laser Center, Ravenswood Hospital, 1991. Certified in Foot and Ankle Arthroscopy – by Doctor’s Hospital, 1991. Certified Preceptorship Director-Scholl College of Podiatry 1993-2006 Board Certified in Foot & Ankle Surgery-A.B.M.S.P., since 1987. Recertified 8/08 till 3/31/2012 Board Certified in Podiatric Foot & Ankle Orthopedics-A.B.P.O.P.P.M., 1991. Recertified 10/2003 till 12/2013 Board Certified in Pain Management-A.A.P.M., since 1990.-retired Clinical Instructor – Department of Medicine at Rosalind Franklin University 10/2007 until present