Other Languages/Great Sphinx of Egypt

what symbolism does the Uraeus (Cobra) on the Nemes (headress) and how does it associate with the sphinx?

Hello Kristine,
Generally speaking, the Uraeus on the Nemes is a symbol of sovereignty, royalty, divine power and striking enemies. The cobra represents Wadjet, patron deity of Lower Egypt in Hieroglyphs. Thus, it was a symbol of protection in ancient Egypt; that's why sometimes ancient Egyptians put it on as amulets or jewelry. Sometimes, the cobra is linked to the curse of the pharaohs, as well. As the case with all statues of ancient Egyptian Kings, the Uraeus on the Nemes of Sphinx is a symbol of royalty. The head of the Sphinx is now believed to represent the ancient Egyptian King Khafra.
Hope this helps,

Other Languages

Dina Khaled

I am Egyptian; Arabic is my mother tongue. I can answer any question about Arabic language including Fus-ha Arabic, Standard Arabic and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic. I can also answer questions about Arabic language grammar, as well as questions about Arabic < > English translation. I can answer questions about Egyptian culture and questions about English and Arabic linguistics and linguistics in general. I can answer most questions about Arabic literature and Egyptian History.

Egyptian Colloquial Arabic is my mother tongue. In addition, I have studied Arabic and English formally at University, as well as translation between them. I have worked on translation research projects, one of them is about problems of collocations in English - Arabic translation. Another one is about the translation of culture specific items in Arabic - English translation with reference to culture specific items in Taha Hussein's "The Days". I have a great deal of knowledge about Egyptian culture, literature and history, since I am Egyptian.

Graduate of Alexandria University, Faculty of Arts, English Department, Linguistics and Translation Section