Other Languages/etymology

Hello, Lady Dina. I am interseted in the origins and the first meanings of the arabic words. Now I would be very grateful if you could introduce me one good arabic dictionary. If you let me know how to find and buy it, I would be more thankful. You know, me is not an Arab. By the way, I hope to visit your country, specially the wounderful Piramids, soon.

Hello Nasim,
A very good Arabic dictionary is Alwaseet (المعجم الوسيط). You can access it at:
Unfortunately, I don't know how you can buy it in Iran.
I hope you will have an enjoyable visit to Egypt soon!
Be well.

Other Languages

Dina Khaled

I am Egyptian; Arabic is my mother tongue. I can answer any question about Arabic language including Fus-ha Arabic, Standard Arabic and Egyptian Colloquial Arabic. I can also answer questions about Arabic language grammar, as well as questions about Arabic < > English translation. I can answer questions about Egyptian culture and questions about English and Arabic linguistics and linguistics in general. I can answer most questions about Arabic literature and Egyptian History.

Egyptian Colloquial Arabic is my mother tongue. In addition, I have studied Arabic and English formally at University, as well as translation between them. I have worked on translation research projects, one of them is about problems of collocations in English - Arabic translation. Another one is about the translation of culture specific items in Arabic - English translation with reference to culture specific items in Taha Hussein's "The Days". I have a great deal of knowledge about Egyptian culture, literature and history, since I am Egyptian.

Graduate of Alexandria University, Faculty of Arts, English Department, Linguistics and Translation Section