Other Musical Instruments/Lyres

Question
I have recently acquired a lyre (from Ebay) but I'm not entirely sure about tuning. It is like a small clarsach, with no levers but tuning pins. Will I be able to tune it to whatever key I'm playing in, or is there only one specific key it can play in. It has 19 strings, so will it be tuned C,D,E,F,G,A,B, etc or will it be something else? Thank you :)

Answer
There are a number of ways to tune a lyre. Some people tune their strings to a pentatonic scale, others tune them to a chromatic scale. You can also tune them to a major scale. Decide on a key by tuning the lowest string until it has enough tension to produce a clear tone. Do not tune the string so high if it feels like it might break. After you finish tuning that string, tune the remaining strings to your choice of notes. You could tune them to C, D, E, F, G, A, and so on, or to any transposition of that.

Other Musical Instruments

The Doctor