Other Musical Instruments/Trumpet Musical Instrument Construction Modification.

Dear Chelsey

Can the Trumpet Musical Instrument Modified in Construction for producing sound if you hold the Trumpet from both sides ?.
i.e. if Symmetrical Geometrical Trumpet is constructed on both the sides then can it produce sound ?.

i.e. Currently if you hold the Trumpet in one side, it can produce sound, but if you hold the Trumpet from the other side, it will not produce sound. Am i correct ?.

Can we derive some Trumpet Musical Instrument Laws for the same ?.

Law 1 : Trumpet can generate sound only from one direction because of the following reason .......

Law 2 : Trumpet cannot generate sound from the other direction because of the following reason ......

Law 3 : Sound generation is possible from both the sides if we redesign a symmetrical Trumpet because of the following reason .....

The Advantage of this Symmetrical Trumpet design would be that the Single Trumpet can be shared between two persons.

For example : Father and Son. i.e. A Single Musical instrument shared between two persons.

The Trumpet length is extended say to 7 feet long. The Trumpet is hold by Father from one side and son is holding from the other side.

When the father generates sound from one Trumpet side, the son from the other Trumpet side will keep the Trumpet away from his mouth and when the son generates sound from one Trumpet side, the father from the other Trumpet side will keep the Trumpet away from his mouth.

One more question which arises is whether there will be synchronization of sound generation from both trumpet sides if both father and son generate sound from the trumpet at the same time.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

I believe I understand your question correctly. You're asking if a trumpet could be modified so you can make sounds from both ends.

This would not be possible without quite a bit of modification. The other end of the trumpet, where you can't make sound, is called the bell. The size of this bell, also known as the flare, affects the sound of the instrument. Small flares have a sharper tone, while larger flares have a more mellow tone. In order to make sounds on both sides,  you would in turn have to have two bells. To do this would almost certainly have a bell in someone's ear, which would be terrible for their hearing and the sound of the instrument. I believe you could make a different, yet similar instrument that could do this, though, if you make it so the bell extends somewhere else.

This is an extremely intriguing idea! If you played both sides at the same time, I wonder if the notes would be different, depending on how you fasioned the opposite side. What would be a C# on one side may become a G# on the opposite side, allowing for a somewhat limited duet! Please let me know if you expand upon this in anyway! I would be personally intrigued to know more!

Thanks for such a fun question! I hope I gave you some information that helped you!

Other Musical Instruments

Chelsey Moudry

I can identify specific instruments in a piece of music, or in a video. I can provide information on how an instrument is used and the history behind it. This includes a large variety of instruments from all over the world. Asian instruments are my strong area, but I have a wide variety of knowledge on instruments in many other countries.

I collect music from around the world. Part of my interest is a research into what gives that area's music such a unique sound, and in order to find that out, I have to be familiar with what instruments are used and the history behind them, so I have spent many hours doing research on my own time and learning about a large variety of musical instruments around the world.

1 year of music history classes (no degree), 3rd year of college for nursing.