PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Memory Problem

Hi I have a computer here with an Asus P5GC-MX/1333 motherboard and I just put 4GB of RAM in it and under system properties it shows the 4GB but says 3.37GB usable. I also looked in the bios under system information and in there it shows Total memory 4096MB, Appropriated 640MB, Available 3456MB. What would the 640MB be used for? Any help is greatly appreciated.

What operating system does this computer have?

Also, your motherboard has an Intel GMA controller built-in, the 640MB is likely being blocked-off for that feature (it's being used for graphics). The GMA 950 on that board doesn't need 640MB of memory, so if you aren't using Windows XP and you really need 3-4GB of RAM for your application requirements, I'd just go in and manually re-set that to around 128MB for the graphics controller. But in general I would say just leave things as they are - it's overkill for the graphics controller but it isn't hurting anything to run the system like this.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience