PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Sluggish PC

I am a relative novice. I have a HP Pavilion a200n, using  Windows XP and it has been extremely slow. Are programs like PCMagic effective in troubleshooting and tune-up?
Thanks, Tom

I would need more information - what hardware does the system have installed in it? Have you kept up with updates and service packs for XP? Do you run any sort of anti-virus or anti-spyware software? Do you have lots of background/startup applications running?

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience