PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Hardware issue?

Hi Mike,

I have a major problem with my computer. Every time I do a system restore or edit msconfig, it disables ALL my services. I have to go into services.msc and start them all again one by one. I have had many computers and have never seen this happen before. I have XP on this computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sounds like potentially malicious software on there to me.

You can download a Registry file from Black Viper's website that is supposed to set all of your Services to Default. You can try downloading and double-clicking on that.

If that fixes the services I would recommend manually creating a Restore Point just so you have one that you know is created with things running the way they should.

If you've got a copy of Windows on disk then I'd recommend running a Repair Install.

There's also a built-in utility called System File Checker that will scan your PC and repair any damaged files. To use it you click Start, Run, then type CMD.
At the C: prompt type sfc /scannow and let it run. The issue with SFC is that if there is damage to the files then you'll most likely be prompted to install a Windows CD so it can fix the damage.

If you don't have a repair disk then you should be able to contact the Customer Service for your PC manufacturer and order one for a fairly small charge.

If any of these steps resolves your issue then I'd also recommend scanning your PC with a good anti-malware program like Malwarebytes because that issue is definitely not a 'normal' problem.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Mike Rigsby

Areas of expertise: PC Hardware, Peripherals, Barcode Scanners, Printers, and Applications, Networking, Microsoft Applications. I am good at researching issues and have a lot of contacts in the IT industry. So, if I can't directly answer a question I can likely find the answer. Areas I won't be much help in: Apple Computers, Linux, older Networking technologies like Token Ring, or Thick/Thinnet.

I'm currently a Network Administrator for a contract circuit board manufacturer in Oregon, USA. I've been working on PCs from a hobby standpoint for better than 25 years. I've been doing it professionally for 4+ years.

A+ Certification, Network + Certification, MCP, MCDST, MCITP