PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/CPU Temps

Question
QUESTION: Hi I have a Biostar G41D3+ motherboard with 8gb of DDR3 1333mhz ram and I just put a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 cpu in it and at idle the temps are according to the Core Temp program on Core #0 43 celcius, Core #1 34 celcius, Core#2, 39 celcius and Core#3 41 celcius. Are these temps normal for this beast of a cpu. They don't go down at all at idle. It has one of the screw down type heatsink and fan that is made by Cooler Master. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

ANSWER: Yes, you are well within normal operating limits for that series. If SpeedStep is not enabled, it should be - it will likely lower operating temperatures slightly (as it will allow the CPU to engage power saving features when it isn't being faced with a large workload). It will also save some power.

For future reference, Intel CPUs are all cataloged within the Intel ARK; here's the pages for the Q9550:
http://ark.intel.com/products/33924/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9550-12M-Cache-2
And 9550S:
http://ark.intel.com/products/40815/Intel-Core2-Quad-Processor-Q9550S-12M-Cache-

You're well under the 70* C limit, so as long as the temperature isn't rising dramatically when the processor is heavily loaded (and Cooler Master generally makes quality heatsinks, so as long as the heatsink is appropriate for this model CPU (more specifically the 95W TDP), this shouldn't be the case), you should have no problems from heat. Ensure that the enclosure is adequately venting the heat though, to prevent issues for other hardware (especially hardware that does not have its own active cooling).

-bob

QUESTION: Hi thanks for the reply. In the bios I have evrything enabled so should I disable the Speed Step feature? Also in the bios there is a c-state tech option that is disabled. When I enable it and save the setting and restart the machine it will automatically disable itself. I was wondering why it does this or should it just be left disabled. And should all the cpu options be enabled or should certain ones be on.

Thanks

Answer
No, it is correct for SpeedStep to be enabled (it's part of the CPU power management) - leave those settings as they are; if you've never adjusted anything in the BIOS previously, they should be the system defaults (which will enable all of the assorted features of the CPU as supported, like VT-x, SpeedStep, etc) which are correct for the majority of usage scenarios (essentially, if you don't know what the feature is or does, it isn't something you need to worry about disabling or enabling (in general you would only bother with changing those settings for specialized usage)).

C-State is another power management feature from Intel, here's an article about it:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/611

-bob

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert