PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/laptop overheating

QUESTION: my asus laptop is overheating. we took the battery out for a while and the laptop still gets hot. we checked the vent and the fan and the heat sink and they were clean of obstruction. any ideas?

ANSWER: How is the laptop being used when this happens? Is the machine still under warranty?

QUESTION: thanks for the quick reply. the laptop is being used on a table for routine computing. initially, it would get very hot when we were streaming video from youtube.. now, it seems to get hot even with WORD and CHROME based activity.

That's certainly problematic - my initial assumption is that you were experiencing this during very intensive tasks (like gaming or encoding HD video). If the machine is still under warranty, I'd see if you can't get Asus to repair or replace the machine due to this. If the machine isn't under warranty, or you don't want to hassle with that, I'd try a cooling pad that's appropriate for the size of machine you have.

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

I have nearly two decades of experience in IT, computer repair, and related fields and will attempt to provide the most solid, brand-agnostic advice when it comes time to purchase a new computer, or upgrade an existing machine. I can answer anything from the seemingly basic to the downright complicated - and will do my best to provide this information in a clear and concise manner.

I have been an enthusiast of PC's for many years, and can answer questions about the purchase/use of a new computer or the purchase, installation, and use of upgrades for existing computers. There probably isn't a whole lot related to the home computer that I haven't seen over the years.

15+ years of experience