PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM/Storage devices not working

Question
Hello

Windows was pre installed when I bought it from Sony. Yes I have tried to manually find the driver, but Windows never finds it. Any other suggestions?

Thanks
CB

Answer
If you're feeling a bit adventurous, look for the following files on your system:

USBSTOR.SYS
USBSTOR.INF
and USBSTOR.PNF

The .sys file should exist in /windows/system32/drivers, while the inf and pnf files should be found in windows/inf. If these files do not exist on the problem machine, but you can copy them over from a working XP installation (you mentioned having another machine which did work properly), this may be a fix; however this is not guaranteed to solve your problem.

Also look for the drivers for the actual USB controller (not the mass storage driver, but the driver that handles the actual USB interface) - look for both an updated version, or to simply re-install with the current version.

Ultimately the "hang up" here is that your specific issue can be caused by a number of software quirks, which makes isolating it somewhat problematic. Re-installing Windows (or attempting a repair install of Windows) may be more time efficient, depending on the amount of additional software and data you have to restore. However either of these methods will require you to have the Windows installation media.

-bob  

PC hardware--CPU & Motherboard & RAM

Bobbert